Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Environment

With the current scenario that I have, it has finally occurred to me how vital one's own space and environment is to learning. Not that accomplishing goals is unattainable in less than desirable conditions. Rather, it's more of an inspiration thing. Sometimes inspiration hits at 6am and sometimes at 10pm. You get the point? In certain scenarios playing at those times would be unheard of and rather looked down upon, whether wholly or in part.

It is a notion that I am not used to and still need to make mental and attitudinal adjustments that I can get the most out of my current situation. It makes me think back to times when I actually had the freedom to take up my cello at any time of day or night. Sometimes I would play until 10 or 11pm simply because I was enjoying myself so much. It wasn't practice, per se, just playing for the pure pleasure. Or I could just as easily play some Bach at 7 or 8am just to get the day going in a very positive way musically speaking.

When an ideal environment cannot be reached the mind has to overcome displeasure and find the strong points in the situation, overcoming what was at first perceived as a negative scenario. In the end however, the importance of finding one's environment cannot be overstated. It can have amazing positive influences on the work one does in the practice room.

No comments: