Monday, December 17, 2012

Gut Strings

Steel versus Gut

I have taken up the challenge of comparing gut and steel. Last week I ordered Eudoxa Chrome/Gut A and D strings, and Passione Chrome/Gut G and C strings. These things are monsters in terms of girth. I took the Evah Pirazzi A string off and then began winding the A Eudoxa but had to double check the package to make sure I had the A string. It seemed like I had grabbed the G string by mistake at first.

Size issues aside, I began playing the instrument with all gut core strings and noticed one phenomenal difference. I could draw the bow horizontally without downward pressure whatsoever and get a soothing, ringing tone immediately. Conversely, I had squeaks and whistles and garbles like you wouldn't believe by exerting the same pressure I normally did with the steel strings.

Regardless of the near absence of downward force I still found that i didn't know how to control the response. Granted I have only had them on for a couple days, but honestly I didn't think the difference in control would be so great. I did manage some sweet sounds but found that the A string was difficult to control especially when crossing from D back to A.

Who has experience with gut strings? Leave you comments on how you dealt with the differences between gut and steel, do you like gut in the first place, and would you be willing to try gut even if you are the biggest proponent of steel.


No comments: