Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pesky Warts

For several years I have had two warts. I don't remember exactly when then appeared but it seemed as though one day I noticed something on my finger and my foot. The one on my finger was a particular nuisance with it's big, white skin plateau. Normally, this sort of topic wouldn't make it on a blog about cello but in a way it does have to do with cello, at least in an aesthetic way. It never affected my playing per se, but it did bother me because I knew that people noticed it. And it did hurt if I inadvertently bumped it on a hard surface or caught the piling mass of dead skin on my pocket as I pulled it out of my pants pockets.

Really, what I am about to describe is quite extraordinary. For about a year I tried various methods to beat the nasty thing back and rid my skin of the blemish, but without success. Those methods included freezing it, coating it in a jelly/wax of natural ingredients and using the much acclaimed "Mother of Tincture" apple vinegar. Although I did get some result of the vinegar it never changed or gave me the impression of leaving.

I remember that I was standing at the sink in the bathroom one day about a month ago and was so disgusted by the sight and the annoyance that I said distinctly said, "I am going to wash you away!"
I poured the soap on and scrubbed with all my might. I continued to angrily pour on the soap and scrub the wart until the skin literally squeaked. This was a thrice daily routine until I began to notice the wart peeling in an unusual way. It seemed that something in the skin was changing, which encouraged me to scrub more often and aggressively. Finally, two weeks (or less--I didn't keep track) after I began the soap and water regimen the wart kind of just "dried up" and went away as if there had been some glue on my skin and had fallen off.

Now, I am happy to say that I can proudly point my finger without wide eyes staring at that wart of piled up skin viciously defying me. Still waiting for the treatment to take effect on the wart on the bottom of my foot. Will post an update when successful. Oh, and I must add that my hand once again slips in and out of pockets with ease! Win.

No comments: