Sunday, November 6, 2011

Long Ride, Short Performance

Driving long distances for a chance to play is all in a days (or weekends) sacrifice. This weekend though, I jammed two agendas into one. With my nephew's first birthday and a performance in church I got my driving in. The bday party was in Chicago and the church gig was in Wisconsin. All in all it was an eight hour drive-a-thon.

I played in the First United Methodist Church in Columbus, WI where my mom is pianist and organist and also directs a ladies' choir. We played three pieces in all for prelude, offertory and postlude: the second movement of Arpeggione sonata by Schubert, Sicilienne by Maria Theresa von Paradis, and The Prayer by Sager.

It was a good trip and nice to play for people not to mention helping my mom out a little. The appreciation of many church members left a good feeling inside. Next time it'll have to be a recital so as to share even more good music at greater length. It's always fun to see the faces of people who are genuinely appreciative of the music played and the skill involved in it's presentation.

4 comments:

Eric said...

Your last comment is really true. When I spent a lot of time on opera discussion websites, I noticed how many super-sophisticated opera fans couldn't find a singer that pleased them. One said, "I don't go to live performances anymore, the singing just frustrates me." (or something like that). I compared that to the open-eyed wonder of someone encountering and loving opera for the first time. I thought, "Maybe its better to know less!"

I try to maintain the wonder of the newcomer, and hope I can hang on to that. Music is wonderful--even when not perfect.

Traveling Cello said...

Actually, now that I think about it, it's not just the audience's appreciation that makes the performance but my own appreciation for my playing.

Do you have your own blog?

Eric said...

No, I've thought of it though...Maybe one of these days.

Traveling Cello said...

With the knowledge you have of opera, you'd be a great source for keeping up with the scene. I'm thinking about a cello tech blog now.